Thursday, August 27, 2009

A Journey of 1,000 miles begins with one step.. and what a step it was...

I did what I said I would do.. I went to the gym today. First let me say that this experience was like being in high school. You walk in and you do not know a single person, or where to go, and everything looks so much larger than normal life.

I walked up and spoke with a super friendly woman named Natalie who took my information.. signed me up for a free 7 day trial, and then asked me what I wanted to do. I was honest. "I have never been to a gym before and I really don't know what to do". She pointed me to a step class that started at 9:30..

This journey has been one that I have talked about before.. but I have always come up with a lot of excuses about why I cannot go... today the hubs eliminated that option by dropping me off. It was either sit there for 1 hour and 15 minutes or do a class.. I chose the class.

I walked in and immediately decided to stand in the back. This way if I fell off of my step fewer people would see. There was an awesome girl in front of me training to be an instructor. I was told to watch her feet if I got lost.

The music started, the class started moving and I was lost.

This is not a class for the weak.. 15 minutes in I was breathing heavily and the sweating had started... this was just the "warm up" my instructor said. At this moment I thought "What have I done?"

For roughly 45 minutes... the class was an hour, but I had to take some time to catch my breath about 4 times... I had the time of my life. It was hard, I couldn't breathe, and I have never lost that much sweat in my life, but at the end I felt really good about myself. These people were so nice and I didn't feel like an outsider at all... in fact THEY made me want to come back.

It also helped a ton that a lady whose daughter goes to school with Sugar Mama takes the class too... she told me how hard it was, and encouraged me to keep moving even when I thought that was not a possibility.

Tomorrow I get to baby sit Bigi my nephew so I won't take a morning class, but they offer a cardio dance class tomorrow that I am thinking of taking.. hopefully that will suit me better.

It will busy for us around here.. we volunteered to make the banners for the rest of the season and obviously there will be a game. We also have 2 birthday parties to attend and I have homework, but I hope everyone has a great weekend.

Today I am thankful for:

Movement: It felt so good to put my muscles (yes they are there you just have to look really hard for them) to work... especially that big ol' muscle I call a heart.

Love to you all... and I'll post some new pics soon. I can't find my camera battery charger so I can't take new ones until that happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment