Tuesday, November 17, 2009

We're Always Waiting for The Lines...

3 Missed Days...

4 Missed Days...

5 Missed Days...

The Hubs and I had a conversation in Jacksonville about my scheduled visit from mother nature, and by this point she had not shown up... I was at work when I had a conversation with some co-workers about my non-visit, but before I say that let me say that the month prior I was 5 days late. I took a pregnancy test, which came back negative, but still did not receive my visit, so I traipsed off to the doctor and paid out of pocket for a blood test... one that came back negative. I got my visit that very night.

Because of this disappointment I did not want to get my hopes up. We were not trying to get pregnant, but we also were not preventing it. I will leave it there. After having said conversation with my co-workers, that's right I did work before Sugar Mama came along, :O) I decided to get a test.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to find your very first pregnancy test? If you are Grandpa I'm going to guess that you do not know, or if you are Heather, YOU BETTER NEVER KNOW :O) I stood in the aisle looking at all of these test with promises of 5 days sooner, be the first to know, etc. Because I am super cheap I bought the Walmart Brand, with 2 tests for like $6. You will understand the significance of 2 later...

Apparently the best time to take a pregnancy test is early in the morning. I did not know this and started reading the directions in the middle of the afternoon... I couldn't wait until morning so I thought that 3 pm would just have to do. I unwrapped my test and read the directions, also sort of complicated when you have never done it before. TMI warning: I did not even have enough pee to hold the stick for 10 seconds like the directions said... nothing about this was going right... middle of the afternoon, only enough pee for about 5 seconds, would it turn out right?!?

Time for a little education... When a person gets pregnant the hormone that a pregnancy test detects multiplies by 2 in your body everyday. For example the first day you have 2, the next 4, the next 8... etc. I took the test out of the line of fire and placed it on the counter. If you have ever taken a test you probably remember not wanting to look at it until the estimated 3 minutes was up b/c you wanted it to be accurate. I was the same, but as I was cleaning up I looked anyways, after about 30 seconds....

2 Pink Lines... It was positive and it only took 30 seconds to tell me that... my hormone was there, and it was strong. Holy Cow, now I had to tell the hubs, and he wouldn't be home for like 4 hours. P.S. We had already discussed this wasn't something we would share over the phone. Up until about 2 months before this point the Hubs was not ready to have children, and I was... not a good conversation piece.

I debated all of the cute, memorable ways that I could tell him we were pregnant... I didn't want to wrap up my test, I wanted to find something small and newborn to give to him, but I was afraid to leave the house b/c I might miss him... what to do? I had plenty of time to stew about it, and finally I had resolved to handle telling him this like we handled everything else, simple and to the point.

Finally the time had come, I could hear his keys in the door, and I popped off of the couch and stood by the bar in our apartment.... Here's goes nothing... His reaction was going to make or break me...

"Hey babe" he said from the doorway.

"Hey"...


No comments:

Post a Comment