Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Darkness...

I read something on facebook today that really upset the balance of my day. All morning I've been irritated by people that have been inconsiderate. People who cut you off in track and look at you like doing the speed limit is an asinine idea, people who look at you crazy when your toddler drops the chocolate milk she was drinking, etc. My thought on the highway this morning was "How do people get a drivers license when they are unaware of blinkers?"..

Either way that's just irritating, everyday stuff. But then I read a disturbing report about child abuse. It was sickening, not just the abuse that the baby, and I say baby because she was 6 months old when she died, but the additional trauma she suffered at the hands of the people entrusted to protect and love her.

It's saddening to think that adults in this world who do not stand on solid ground because the people they should trust most in the world have let them down, betrayed and abused them.

There is so much darkness. I have been fortunate to not have any proximity with the darkness, but I know someone who has.. someone who was abused and then convinced that not talking about it would be best because they didn't want to get in trouble. Just outside of the brightness of my life lies so much anger, sorrow, betrayal, hurt...

Here is one thing I know: He is the light in the darkness. While reading the story, and keeping the nauseousness at bay, the only thing that kept me from being victim of the darkness was that he holds that baby girl and he treasures her in a way that those monsters never could. She will not hurt again, she will have no memory of the traitors who still reside here and she is in peace with her creator. Her abusers never wanted her anyways, and her remaining family kept quiet so they didn't deserve her either. He is the only source of light in a world that is dark.

He is hope for the hopeless, peace for the restless.. these lyrics form a song whose name I cannot remember, but I heard that today too... He swept her up, treasured her when the rest wouldn't, and saved her when the rest couldn't.

There is so much darkness in the world, but keep your head and look towards the light.. the darkness is only for a season, and while he reigns on high now, one day he will come back to save those of us who bask in high light daily.

Today I am Thankful for:

The Light: The world would be a miserable and hellish place without it.

No comments:

Post a Comment