Wednesday, June 16, 2010

They Make Me Smile...

It's been just as busy this week as weeks past. I guess that is the thing about Summer, it's beautiful outside so you cannot stay inside for long. This is one of my favorite seasons and I think daily how lucky I am to have the luxury of freedom of time. I plan what we do or do not do every day and it's a treasure. One day they will want to hang out with friends, work, go to cheer camp, etc. and I won't have anything to do and I can look back on these fun filled days and love them.

It's also birthday time around here.. Sugar Mama just turned 5... can you believe it? I cannot. About 3 years ago I started having our families over for cup cakes on their actual birthdays. Especially if it's in the middle of the week and the party isn't until the weekend it gives them a mini-celebration pre-party :)

Here is Sugar Mama helping me bake her cup cakes... well licking the spoon once I was done :)


My niece even got in on the action...


Happy Birthday To You!!! (That face is her shy smile...she gets it and her tongue sort of hangs out when she is very embarrassed)


Sugar Mama and the Nugget received umbrella hats from the in-laws.. here is my dad trying one out on what my sister calls his "fat head" :)


I missed the opportunity to take a picture of the Nugget with a chocolate mustache because amidst the chaos we had a contractor visiting to give us an estimate on finishing out our basement for Mama J :)

But they all make me smile. Here is the thing: My doctors told me Sugar Mama would never make it. I had pre-term labor, and cervix issues and those things would never support her the way she should be and I would lose her before 30 weeks. It was an emotional roller coaster and the day I had her was equally scary. My epidural didn't take b/c they didn't check me first and she came pretty quickly. Right after they discovered her lungs might be under developed because she was 4 weeks early and she spent a week in the NICU.. she did not come home when I did.. one of the most heart breaking things I have ever done.

Looking at her now you would never know those things. She is a beautiful and smart 5 year old girl. She can tumble, write her name, and jump in pools with out floaties. No one in this world or beyond it is more powerful than God. I prayed, a lot of us prayed for her survival and God answered those prayers. Not only did he answer but his grace and mercy was found in a situation where they said it wouldn't be. He would have been the same God had he taken her when the doctors said she would go..

But Today I am Thankful for:

Those long, emotional, tiring months when he held her in his hands before he passed her along to me. She has always been his, he has merely let me borrow her and I will forever be grateful for her presence in my life.

2 comments:

  1. Love the hats! And Happy Late Birthday Olivia (wrote to Olivia on your facebook) And just wanted to let you know, I uploaded those pictures from the shower to my facebook, so you can go and get what you want.Love you! See you Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I forgot to make a post about them!! I did write about it, but just didn't add the photos :) I'll see if I can get to it. Thanks and love you all, cannot wait to spend the day with all of you. 2 weeks in a row... wow I must have been extra nice over the past month :)

    ReplyDelete