Monday, August 30, 2010

Who Is Doing the Learning?


This, is my Sugar Mama. She is my first born, my sweetest girl, by all accounts my easiest child out of the 2 and 1/4. She started sleeping through the night at 6 weeks, was completely potty trained before her 2nd birthday, went to pre-school like a champ, etc. She has always been super sweet and compliant.

So imagine my surprise when I sent her to school and all of a sudden started getting end of the week reports that says she's been talking, and not following directions the first time they are given. I was a little confused at first b/c she's never "pulled a card" or gotten a note sent home just a big ol' green circle around the P column in the progress report instead of the S. The 2nd time this happened.. after she'd gotten all S's the week before, I was so upset that I had to excuse myself because I was in tears.

Confession: This is the part of the post that I admit, shamefully, that I may be projecting my own issues on to her. I may have been expecting complete compliance, etc. I am a perfectionist and expect the same in my children...Essentially I am at a loss as to how to handle this situation b/c I've got it all wrong.

Any who... so I had my "I'm a bad parent and that's why she's not adjusting" moment and had a talk with her, in fact I reiterate the point every morning before I drop her off. Only to get another week of 2 P's. So I sent off a note to her teacher to get a better understanding of what was going on.

Confession 2: This is the second part of my post that I confess that this teacher and I don't exactly "click" I cannot put my finger on it, except to say that I've never gotten a good read from her. In her defense I'll say that I'm sort of mean in this pregnancy and have a tendency to be irritated quicker, and more verbal with said irritation.

I digress.. The note back was super nice.. "She's doing very well, she's adjusting well, she just wants to talk to her friends while she's working, and doesn't follow directions the first time they are given [it's very common in 5 year olds]" Yeah the following directions part.. Got it!! She does that at home, and the talking.. well she does that at home too, in fact it's non-stop :)

I have realized over the past month (more specifically today) that this is really a conversation I should be having with the Lord. It's not Sugar Mama that has the problem.. I'm pretty sure it's me. I'm desperate for her to get it right the first time.. directions, answers, everything, and it cannot be. I love her for who she is, and she needs to learn at her pace, not the one I set for her. That is REALLY hard...

Today I am Thankful for:

The Learning... we're both learning. Sugar Mama about reading and writing, and me about what's inside me and how it should stay there.

No comments:

Post a Comment