Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Lively Situation is being controlled by a two year old...

I am 31 weeks and 3 days pregnant.  This is not the thing that controls my life right now.  It's a two year old nugget, who apparently has discovered she is two and should act accordingly by being a terrible two.

First let me ask you... If you have a child who is 2 1/2 or older, do you still have nap time?
I ask because recently it's been a struggle for us.  
I did sleep training, I've mentioned this before, and it was a very difficult time for me.  But it was a last resort as Nugget girl wouldn't sleep in her bed, or in mine, or really for any stretch of time, and so I tried it.  It worked for us, not instantly, but after much dedication and quite simply it was the thing that saved my sanity :)
Recently nugget girl has started pitching fits at nap time and bed time, and it takes me back to sleep training and now that she's older makes it even harder than when she was smaller.
Just yesterday she came out of her and Sugar Mama's room crying at nap time, and said "Mama I ready to talk", which is what she says when she is ready to come out of time out.
This made me feel terrible.
I only make her sleep because Nugget girl with no sleep does not make for a pleasant situation, but I don't want her to think that lying her down for a nap is punishment.
I decided to change the game today and not make her take a nap.. of course she fell asleep in the car after dance and slept until three this afternoon :/

Also she has started with "Uh Uh" and "I don't want to"... normally it's just a conversation but when you are calling her to you to change her diaper, even though you have attempted to potty train her 47 times, and she says "Uh uh, I don't want to" (that's right she throws out the combo too :) it makes me a little crazy.  Or when I'm trying to brush her teeth and I get "I don't want to" when I ask her to open her mouth... 

If I had thousands of followers, some of the blog readers would be amped up to post a comment about how I should man up and deal with being a parent, how I should be thanking God daily that he gave me a healthy baby girl, any number of things that I assure you I think to myself, I just want to be in a place where she doesn't think I'm always getting on to her.

My hormones are bonkers, I am obligated to a many number of things over the next week, and I can't reach my feet... right now I'm being controlled by my two year old...

Today I am Thankful for: 

My two year old, who drives me to the brink of a nervous break down everyday, and yet I love her to distraction and thank God for giving her just to me!!

P.S. the hubs ordered something that had baby girl number 3's name on it.  Seeing it in print (just like Kelly) made me very happy, and makes it VERY real :)

2 comments:

  1. Well congratulations you don't have too much longer until baby #3 comes into this world. Secondly, as far as little miss nuggett goes I would say just stay consistent in what you try. My Jayci went through a similar stage at about the same age. She didn't want to sleep and it drove me NUTS! So we did just a rest time, a quite playtime, or a movie on the couch. It was just something where she had to stay still and quite for a couple of hours.

    She is 4 almost 5 now and still really needs a nap. At preschool she gets a nap everyday. However, at home we still try to enforce it but it usually ends up being a late nap in the afternoon when she just crashes.

    Anyway, not sure if that helps or not and it may not be the best ideas but it will get you a little break and help kieep your sanity. No matter what you do I would say consistency is your best bet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right Kristen, consistency is the key. I've tried to be as consistent as possible, which is why I often find myself feeling like I'm harping on her :) Just today I didn't make her take a nap and she fell asleep in the carpool line :) I'm trying to take each day at a time.

    ReplyDelete