Friday, January 13, 2012

Almost Counts..

Have you ever heard that saying "Almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades?"

Well let me tell you where it also counts: Cancer and Heart Defibrillators 

On Tuesday morning Mama J called with the results that she almost has cervical cancer.  For those of you thinking "almost" I can explain it like this -  When you have abnormal pap results you will be asked to have a follow up examine.. if those results come back abnormal then a biopsy of the area is done.. it will show cancer cells, the beginning formation of cancer cells, etc. Almost means they caught the cells in time before they started with real damage, or moving to other areas. 

6 months ago she came back with a clean scan.. no abnormal cells.
In December her scan came back with severe cells.. so basically it's not cancer yet. 

Believe me when I say almost certainly counts here.  

While on the phone with Mama J, The twin called to say that she had received a message from my dad and my PawPaw was in the hospital... 

This is him...


Things were not looking good.  I went up to the hospital and as I was making my way up to the Critical Care Unit I heard a call for a Code Blue.. I knew immediately it was him.

His heart had gone into v-tech several times and the nursing/doctor staff shocked him no less that 7 times that day.

In just over 2 weeks my grandmother (his wife) will have been gone for 10 years.  He had just said to my dad on Sunday that he was tired and wanted to go be with my Nanny.  

I sat next to his hospital bed on Tuesday and just cried, and cried.  He looked so frail and thin and I just knew in my heart that he was tired of fighting but it hurt because he and I have had the Jesus conversation.  He was adamant about not having that relationship.

It just broke my heart.. He wanted to badly to give up and go be with my nanny, but if he didn't make a decision to have a relationship he wouldn't be with her again.

I prayed without any real direction because I couldn't say that prayer for him. 

But God is so amazing and always gives more than we could hope for.

Yesterday he woke up, they turned down his respirator and now he's awake and being his grumpy old self.  He's not out of the woods yet, but for me his progress is a glowing reminder that God always keeps his promises.  And when a situation looks so bleak we have no direction with our prayers, he always intercedes and gives us exactly what we need, whether we knew we need that or not. 

Today I am Thankful for: 

God's Promises: He never leaves us, never gives up on us.  His desire is to see everyone have everlasting life with him and the Father... death has no power here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment