Tuesday, June 26, 2012

A Little Catching Up..

Brandon finally came home.  After more than a week in the states, he was flown home 2 Saturday's ago and people lined the streets from the airport to the funeral home.  It was an amazing experience.  Although my heart was heavy and I was reluctant to watch as he passed by, hindsight is that it was an honor to stand among his community and welcome him home, thanking him for his service. 
My family and I stood on Heroes Highway.  Below is a picture of the American Flag hung over Heroes Highway that was a tribute from the Local Firefighters.
I will remember this moment for the rest of my life. 


We said goodbye in a very fitting funeral, again, supported by his community.  It's been an emotional 2 weeks, and only now are things around here beginning to resemble normal.
While we waited for Brandon to come home we celebrated some pretty cool things.

For starters Kj got her very first hair cut.  She is much younger than Sugar Mama or Nugget girl at their first but I could not stand the mullet a minute longer :) Everyone got a haircut (except for Mommy)



Our next big milestone was Sugar Mama's 7th birthday and the Husband's 30th!!  Because my brother was still in town we decided to take them out to dinner since the arrangements were not finalized enough to plan much else.  They sang to both of them (the husband was not expecting it) and they got to keep the hats!!



We even went to Toys-r-Us to let Sugar Mama do a little toy shopping for her birthday.  And who did we run into?  None other than the Biebs himself :)


She wanted to purchase this cut out, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it.  Quite frankly it would be so creepy to wake up in the middle of the night and Justin Bieber be standing in your room... that's just me. 

Sunday was Father's day and this is how the husband celebrated...


We bought him a new Iphone and an awesome pair of sunglasses for his birthday/Father's day combo.  He has barely put the phone down since :) This is him showing the girls that he can get Netflix and Disney Junior on his phone now.  

And this is what the last of our week looked like: 


She crawled in my lap and went to sleep.

This past Wednesday my brother flew back to Texas to be with his family and I, as I knew I would be, was in a complete funk.  I cried so hard when I let him out at the airport.  I couldn't even say bye to him family because I was so choked up and when I was sobbing in the car, and I turned to see my nephew saying "Bye Stina" and blowing me kisses, I absolutely lost it.  I cried the whole way home and for the rest of the day.

I won't get to see him until next year when he has his vacation before he deploys to Afghanistan.  I cannot put into words what those words mean now. I will never look at what we do overseas the same way again.  Freedom has never been free, but for the first time it cost us something priceless.  I am simply thankful that Jesus has Brandon now and he can rest in peace.

Today I am Thankful for: 
Have you ever attended a funeral and there was a question in the air about that person's salvation?  It's hard to attend the funeral of a person who hangs in the balance, in your mind at least.  I was so thankful to listen to Tj tell us of the decision Brandon made before he'd joined the army.  I praised God at a funeral... and I'm adding it to the list of new things I experienced these past 2 weeks.  God is good, all the time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment