Monday, June 10, 2013

Summer Vacation: Week One

I vowed that this Summer would be a great one, afterall I have spent the last 8 months looking forward to this time where there would be no homework, testing, or reading that I haven't chosen :)

So I looked over Pinterest and found some cool ideas to keep us busy..

Monday-Olivia received this garden stone kit for her birthday 2 years ago, and since we've recently cleared out our flower beds I though this would be a perfect time to make them.  

A few tips: 
1. They are not as large as you would imagine a garden stone to be.  I had planned to use these as stepping stones between our walkway and driveway, but they will be used for decoration now. 
2. You do not need to use all of the concrete when you mix it.  If you use all the concrete and the small amount of water they recommend it will dry too quickly and decorating/molding will be next to impossible.





Tuesday we took advantadge of our Mimi's pool.  This is the first Summer I have been confident enough to take them all by myself and it's was fantastic.  I barely got any photos of Olivia because she is constantly swimming.  Addison was content making friends and floating along, while Kj enjoyed the small kiddie area.  The weather was perfect for a swim and picnic lunch!!





Wednesday we did some thrifting.  We have several thrift stores around that I like to visit looking for furniture. 

Thursday was riding lessons for Olivia.
Addison felt her puppy should be super safe on the way to pick up Sister. 
*On a side note: Addison has slept with this puppy every night since she was about 9 months  old.  He has seen better days, but I wonder how much longer she will keep him.  The thought makes me super sad!! 


We decided to try this. We used 80's glam sharpies that the husband bought me (I LOVE the 80's) and made plates for each little lady.  We followed the directions exactly, but the colors dulled A LOT in the oven.  Perhaps that's why they only show black sharpies in the tutorials?  




Friday we spent some time just out and about.  We got to see this awesome Rainbow!! 

And my hydrangea bush is finally blooming.  We've gotten sort of big into plants here so we were excited to bring this bloom into the house and see what happens. 



Deal of the week: I've been looking at bird baths for our flower beds.  The standard ones are not expensive, but I needed a tall one for the space I had in mind.  Well, the husband and I popped into Walmart to buy some spray paint.  He happened to notice this fountain/bird bath on the patio of the garden section.  It has a small hole in the front because it's been out there for a while.  The previous owners brought it back because the pump didn't work.
Well the manager sold it to us for... $20!! So we brought it home, set it up, and guess what? The pump DOES work, the previous owners put the pump in backwards :)


Side note: We bought a new car about 2 months ago.  We went from a Yukon XL to a Honda Civic.  We OFTEN forget that we no longer have the Yukon.  Prime example here: We bought this antique end table and couldn't get it home any other way :)  I have plans to stain and nourish this table back to some serious glory.  


So that's week one.  This week we plan to: make some bird feeders, plants some flowers/strawberry plants, visit the zoo, and plan for Olivia's birthday!! 

Love to you all!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment